So I’ve been reflecting & meditating on anger the past week and wanted to thank you all for playing the game with me the other day. I compiled your responses on paper (I’ll share it on IG) and so far here is the summary of what I can do with it:
- Allow myself to feel it which is foreign and scary because I only learned to stuff it down or repent or forgive quick.
- Identify the feeling once I feel it, observe the sensations in my body and tell myself it’s quite normal just like any other feeling and that it can serve me if I let it.
- Express my anger in ways that don’t harm anyone. Get moving. Walk. Dance. Do some Martial Arts. Lock myself in the shower and curse aloud. Jam to music. Journal.
- Reflect. Sit with my anger. Ask her why she is here. Where am I feeling betrayed or hurt or disappointed? Where do I feel like a victim? Where do I feel powerless? Ask for guidance (a.k.a. pray!) And write it down.
- Also worth checking out any connection to hormones, sleep, nutritional deficiencies, etc.
- Then what can I do? Where can I shift? How can I transmute it? How can it serve is fuel for action? Where can I take back my agency to live my life freely?
- Make space for the smallest change I want to welcome. Baby steps.
- Repeat as necessary. No shame. No judgment.
I’ll share more about anger and what I’ve been so angry about lately in another post but for now, I want to ask you to share in the comments what you do with your anger.
It means a lot to have y’all read and receive what I have to share it, even when in a shitty draft form.
(Written on my iPhone.)