I know it’s almost Summer but it still rains quite a bit here in Seattle, and if you are anywhere like my city, it’s nice to have nourishing warm food on the go. Because rain or shine, I’ve made a commitment to be outdoors with my little girl during the week (so we at least have to try). For me, being an un-schooler means that the world is our classroom and being in nature as much as we can is not only good for our minds, but also for our bodies and our souls.
And so here is an Easy Peasy Creamy Broccoli Soup for those days that just call for some warm nourishment for kids (and big kids alike).
- 4 TBSP butter or olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 head of organic broccoli
- 1 head of cauliflower
- salt + pepper (and other spices you want)
- about 4-5 cups of vegetable broth or chicken broth, homemade preferable
- about 1/2 cup of heavy pastured cream or half and half (can omit to make vegan)
- Parmesan/Cheddar Cheese for garnish
Sauté chopped onion and carrots in butter. Add chopped broccoli florets and cauliflower. When onions are translucent, add broth. Add some water if you need more water to cover up all ingredients. Add salt and pepper.
Let it simmer without the lid for 15- 20 minutes until broccoli is soft. Add cream. Puree in food processor or with an immersion blender. Serve with grated parmesan or cheddar on top.
Easy Peasy does it!
What about you? Any family favorite soup recipes you would love to share?